Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Shitty OB Technique

The following scenario really, really irritates me:

Dr. instructs nursing staff that s/he does not want to be called before woman is 10/100% (even with multiparas).
Dr. strolls into room and her/his first words (to the nursing staff) are "Do I have time to change?"
When instructed that no, there isn't, washes hands, dons gloves, takes a seat and says "Push"
Mama pushes.
"Push again"
Mama pushes.
"Hand me the vacuum/get the forceps ready" (two pushes, people and no indication of any distress!!).

Mama freaks out, panics and pushes so hard she blows the baby right past her perineum and tears horribly.

This Dr. needs to find a new job. I'm sorry that s/he is apparently bored and/or distracted and so can't let an otherwise healthy mama and baby continue to complete her birth without an enforced time clock. In the absence of any factors to indicate a problem she could conceivably push at her own pace for a while and most likely birth that baby steadily with less risk to her bottom. Vacuum extractions and forceps have their place but they should NEVER be used to elicit a fear response. At best it defines shitty bedside manner and at worst about amounts to abuse in my view.

I also object to the brandishment of Cesarians as a threat: "You've been stalled at 7cms for 6hrs now, I'm gonna give you an hour to get complete or then I'm gonna section you"

Way to make a woman feel like her body isn't working! I've seen this happen so many times (and it happened to me too). Does this sometimes (as it did in my case) result in complete dilation/effacement in the required time frame? Yes. But it also scares women (and then you deal with the physiological ramifications of that fear), and makes them believe that the pause is somehow their fault when that is most frequently not the case.

If a client of mine stalls at 7cms (or whatever) I examine closely why that might be:
  • Has she had an epidural or another medication which has inhibited her movement? If so is there something we can do to help get her moving: Sitting her up, changing whichever side she's lying on, supporting her in a dangle or a squat?
  • Could the baby be malpositioned? If so can we try some stuff to remedy that? Rebozo, dangle...etc.
  • Might she be frightened? Could some fear issue be impeding her progress? Lets talk about that.
  • Might she be tired and need a bit of energy from (here's a radical idea) a bit of food or drink?
How and why is it that so many of these Dr's lose their people skills on their journey? I remain convinced that they had some going into medicine. It boggles my mind. They seem so caught up in the need for "data" to support their outcomes that they lose sight of the intangible factors that make up the person inside the mother. Frightened women find it hard to birth babies. We know that. So why do some of them (too many of them) persist in scaring them deliberately???

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen sister.

I hate the fear techniques.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This'll probably never get read the post is so old, but I just found your blog and am reading back.

I had the fear tactic used on me to great effect.

I'd been pushing for four hours with a malpositioned baby. She'd been crowning for a long time - several contractions at least. I was totally and utterly exhausted from three days of walking, lots of pushing, etc, etc. Unbeknownst to me her heartrate started doing something bad, and my midwife said "I'd like to cut a little episiotomy". I said "NO!". She replied that I had one more contraction, and dangled the scissors over my belly jokingly. I got her out in the next contraction.

Apgars of 2, 5, 8 so she needed to come out right then. Yes, an episiotomy was probably reasonable in that situation, but man am I glad she scared me into a really big push first!

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home