Thursday, May 25, 2006

A Plea to the Universe which will Likely Bite me in the Arse.

A dear friend of mine dressed her highly spirited toddler in a t-shirt that read "Question Authority". Gahd, I loved that T-shirt. I still smile just thinking of it. I couldn't help but think though that the mama's choice of clothing for this particular firecracker kid would probably come back to haunt her. Maybe it already is. No matter. But in the current situation and knowing full-well that I am tempting the fates, please find below my plea:

Please. Please let the Toddler say a word. He's almost 17 months old now. Doesn't have to be fancy, it can even be "NO!". Just one word. That's all. One word and I won't worry that my old house has poisoned him with the old lead paint, or the vaccinations I stopped giving him have already done their damage. Or that by having two children I have criminally neglected the speech development of the second...

All I want is one, teeny, tiny, clearly anunciated word. And then I'll be fine.

Now, I know that in asking for that what I'll probably get is "Piss off, Mummy!, you're harshing my mellow!"

I'm taking my chances.

2 Comments:

Blogger Louisa said...

Nope, no one told me about Einstein. A good thing to remember!. I have absolutely no problem with the t-shirt thing. They will have more than enough opportunity to dress themselves in stuff that no doubt I'll object to :) Welcome and thanks for reading!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Rock Farmer said...

I live to dress my kids in t-shirts that espouse my beliefs. (and hi, cristie!). If my daughters grow up to become right-wing conservatives, they're going to have some fun, explaining the photos from their childhoods...

My first daughter didn't start speaking until she was 1 1/2 yrs old, and then she went from zero to fifty words in a week. Given the amount of direct face-to-face contact my new baby gets, I'll be surprised if she's talking by then. I'm already reminding myself not to freak out about it.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home