Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Hunt Continues

Au Pair: A young person (usually female) who lives with a family for 12 months (usually) to help with childcare and related tasks. They recieve food and a room (and at my house they'll get cable TV, DVD, computer and wireless internet) and a small stipend ($150-200) every week.

I was an au pair in a previous life. It was a good experience from the point of view of being 18 and living in Europe (I was in Switzerland). But in balance it sucked. The baby I cared for was a sweet, sweet boy, his parents were not so nice. The Dad was cranky about having another woman in his home and I guess I didn't really fit in. Also the agency that placed me went out of business within weeks of my arrival and so I operated for 12 months illegally (it costs money for a visa don'cha know) and without health insurance. Not such a great scene.

And so, as I try to locate an au pair for my family I'm also trying really hard to make sure that we can be the family to the au pair that I didn't have. I want the person to understand how much I value their contribution and frankly, how much their work will daily save my bum (or at least my GPA). Happy carers make for happy kids. And happy kids make for happy Husband, which in turn makes for happy Me.

I'm hoping that we can find someone in the U.S. who fits the bill, so I don't have to pay whopping great agency fees and therefore have to pay the aupair less. Also I guess it means that they can also find part time work of an evening or on weekends. I know what it's like to feel like you aren't being paid your worth. I mightn't be able to pay much more than $200 per week, but that person (whoever you are) will be appreciated no matter what.

Fingers crossed they're out there...

1 Comments:

Blogger Louisa said...

Serves you right :)

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home