The First of Many Rants on all Things Childbirth
Ok. For the record and because this is my blog: I HATE SCHEDULED C-SECTIONS.
I really, really do. I can't say this on the other blogs I write on, largely because I get paid to write alongside really nice women, one of whom is an OB and at least one of the others had one of these.
Now I understand that very, very occasionally scheduled sections are absolutely necessary - true placenta previa being one of these, a completely and stubbornly transverse baby being another. But just having one because your last labor was tough, or ended in a c-section does not mean you have a good reason to have another one. Also, and with all due respect, not going into labor because you are afraid of the pain (yep, looking at you Britney) is an absolute bloody cop-out. It's selfish and at best really ill-advised. Labor is an important physiological process which, among other things, prepares babies for life outside the womb. Also (hello!) many, many more women die from complications from ceasarian sections than from complications of vaginal birth. Some folks are going to find me condescending when I say this but I'm tired of smiling sweetly when I hear or read of another woman chosing outright not to labor. I get that you are able to make that call, and I'm glad that you think that it was a "great experience" but please, when you recommend it to someone else please know that there real and permanent risks beyond that of infection which include:
"Potential risks to women include hemorrhage, blood clots, hysterectomy, surgical mistakes, rehospitalization, dangerous placental abnormalities in future pregnancies, unexplained stillbirth in future pregnancies and increased chance of maternal death. Risks of cesarean to the baby include low birth weight, prematurity, respiratory problems, and lacerations." courtesy of ICAN
Pregnant women, their families and caregivers should be aware of all the risks involved in cesarian section. If you've already had one? VBAC is an alternative, and for many women it's a healthier alternative to repeat C-section especially if you plan on having more babies in the future. Vaginal birth is almost always the best way to have a baby.
If this has raised your ire, and you wan't to rant back either agreeing or disagreeing with me, you'll find the comment link below. Oh and keep an eye out for my upcoming rant against infant circumcision. That one is likely to piss a great many people off.
I really, really do. I can't say this on the other blogs I write on, largely because I get paid to write alongside really nice women, one of whom is an OB and at least one of the others had one of these.
Now I understand that very, very occasionally scheduled sections are absolutely necessary - true placenta previa being one of these, a completely and stubbornly transverse baby being another. But just having one because your last labor was tough, or ended in a c-section does not mean you have a good reason to have another one. Also, and with all due respect, not going into labor because you are afraid of the pain (yep, looking at you Britney) is an absolute bloody cop-out. It's selfish and at best really ill-advised. Labor is an important physiological process which, among other things, prepares babies for life outside the womb. Also (hello!) many, many more women die from complications from ceasarian sections than from complications of vaginal birth. Some folks are going to find me condescending when I say this but I'm tired of smiling sweetly when I hear or read of another woman chosing outright not to labor. I get that you are able to make that call, and I'm glad that you think that it was a "great experience" but please, when you recommend it to someone else please know that there real and permanent risks beyond that of infection which include:
"Potential risks to women include hemorrhage, blood clots, hysterectomy, surgical mistakes, rehospitalization, dangerous placental abnormalities in future pregnancies, unexplained stillbirth in future pregnancies and increased chance of maternal death. Risks of cesarean to the baby include low birth weight, prematurity, respiratory problems, and lacerations." courtesy of ICAN
Pregnant women, their families and caregivers should be aware of all the risks involved in cesarian section. If you've already had one? VBAC is an alternative, and for many women it's a healthier alternative to repeat C-section especially if you plan on having more babies in the future. Vaginal birth is almost always the best way to have a baby.
If this has raised your ire, and you wan't to rant back either agreeing or disagreeing with me, you'll find the comment link below. Oh and keep an eye out for my upcoming rant against infant circumcision. That one is likely to piss a great many people off.


1 Comments:
You know I'm afraid of that right?
Post a Comment
<< Home