Sunday, September 21, 2008

News

Having appropriately briefed all family, can now share glad tidings with y'all: Am most definitely knocked up. This qualifies as certifiable insanity right now what with all the babies between now and Dec (when we jet off to NZ for visiting/vacationing). Am so bloody sick I question why ANYONE does this. Pregnancy should be banned - my midwifery livelihood be damned.

In other news yesterday and today I witnessed a simply awesome transport, after primiparous mama's posterior babe refused to line up properly in order to dilate his mothers cervix. We busted out all the tricks - even administered my first set of sterile water injections to try to ease her back labor. All to no avail, her contraction pattern was crap and after 24hrs she cried uncle and we headed into hosp for some well earned rest, and maybe some vitamin P (pitocin) for that contraction pattern...

A bunch of morphine, followed by an epidural and 24hrs (12 of that asleep), she was complete. it is neat to see the way a happy uterus will provide these cool 'double-back' contractions to try to encourage a babe with a funky head to rotate. A phenomenon you can only see with the benefit of a toco strip monitoring said uterus. The double backs eventually converted to nice regular ctx early this morning. Wouldn't you know it, her next exam showed babe's head well applied, and a cervix happily, if slowly continuing to dilate after some 20hrs stalled between 7 and 8cm. Doc had her labor down, while the epidural was reduced till she was feeling an urge to push

So some 40 hrs after first contraction, 20hrs or so at home, 24 in the hosp, 8lbs 7oz happy, "rockstar" babe delivered by cool doc and her resident visiting from big training hosp, over an intact perineum. At 42 and3/7 weeks.

Freakin' LOVE IT when everything works out well. For the record, my first transport where the baby went on to come out a vagina. I'd almost given up hope.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Gestating to you!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Congratulations! In more ways than one! When are you due?

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Yes! I'm so excited for you! Have another boy and join my lonely club. LOL. I was so insanely sick this time around that even if I was GUARANTEED a daughter next time around, I would adamantly decline. Not. Worth. It.

3:59 PM  
Blogger LaborPayne said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy- I'm almost jealous-- almost!

6:04 AM  
Blogger k.thedoula said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Grinning here. More wee socks to knit coming up!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a crazy bitch you know it? Congrats!

7:40 AM  
Blogger M said...

public congrats dear L :)

can't wait to see you in my 'hood :)

1:20 AM  
Blogger Mama to Monkeys said...

Congrats, you crazy lady! Yay for a baby coming out of a vagina--at the HOSPITAL after a transfer!

Good job, midwife. :)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

yay! congratulations :)

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home