Monday, August 11, 2008

Madness #479 (or somesuch)

The last week has been notable for two all nighters. The first of which was remarkable for an incredibly tight fit of a lovely big babe, a crown which lasted for ages, a remarkable hemorrhage and a shock-y mom. I discovered that it's actually really difficult to take a blood pressure when your client is tachycardic and her BP is in the toilet. EMS wound up on-site, we pumped her full of fluids and meds, her bleeding stopped, she stabilized, everyone's fine. I won't tell you what her TEBL was ultimately (it was a lot), but I discovered a theoretical threshold for when I would transfer a client to hosp. Good lesson to learn.

The second all nighter was remarkable for TWO babies in TWO counties (yep, TWO midwives).
First baby: 10/5 (7hrs with client in labor)
Second baby: 10/0 (5hrs with client in labor/postpartum)
03.00 dash
Distance between clients: 44.8 miles
Average speed: 70 mph
Time taken en route: ~45 mins
0 speeding tickets (though I certainly deserved one...or three)

Sleep deficit: um, haven't the foggiest. It's up there though.
Three down (including both primips - yay!)...
Oh yeah, and there are no more brownies left.

1 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

Out of brownies already?

You'll make it through August, I'm sure you will. You rock this sleep deprivation thing.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home