Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Days sent to try me.

Deep breath.

I am presently surviving the sometimes grueling class paroxysm which our monthly onsite is. This is always a tricky time, not least of all because Husband is left to wrangle the boys on his own. This week has been complicated with the following:
  • Public school holds parent teacher interviews this week which means that there is no school at all for Eldest Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I could rail a bit about how stupid I see this being, but I won't. There you have it.
  • Day Care Provider rather belatedly advised a while ago that she will be taking a (holy shit two weeks batman) vacation starting Wednesday also.
  • Called beloved grandparents begging for their help a while back, they graciously agreed to come stay to help hold the fort during this time - picture me almost sobbing with gratitude when this was arranged.
  • Husband's work schedules not one, but two back to back business trips during this time. One will take him out of the country and the other to the other side of the country. In any event this means that there will be no one to watch the children (so to speak) in the middle of the night when I get paged to a birth.
Y'all remember I'm on call for births, right? Incidentally I missed two today as I toiled in class. But I digress...

Sigh.

Oh, no wait, it gets even better!

Husband calls this evening to share news that Grandpa may have collapsed lung and may not be able to fly. This is terrible news in and of itself, but shoot me for being beside myself with the ramifications of this state of affairs on my precariously cobbled together childcare strategy (which Husband is apparently completely incapable of co-strategizing).

To summarize:
Two and a half weeks. One kid in Kindergarten 9.10-4.30 (including bus time), one particularly active, mouthy almost three year old with no daycare at all. Two days of clinic scheduled in clinics 50 miles apart, plus additional home visits for postpartum's, metabolic screenings and weight checks. Four women in dates (37-42 weeks), no night time childcare cover either for roughly 8 days of that two weeks.

And a HUGE motherfucking Midwifery Care exam (sorry, I really tried not to swear needlessly in this post, but that horse bolted already) on top of the usual ~40 hrs of reading and assignments to complete in any given week.

Ideas anyone? I'm fresh out.

5 Comments:

Blogger k.thedoula said...

As someone who doesn't live anywhere near your leafy corner of the world... no great ideas come to mind...
Can I pass you a margarita? That might help!
Wishing health to your father in law and Mary Poppins to show up on your doorstep this afternoon!

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Ryan to step up and help out. Then hire a baby sitter, call me I'll Western Union the money to you. Then take an hour and get a massage, again I'll Western Union you the money. Then go get that Margarita and ask for a double shot of their best Tequila in it and just BREATHE for a little while. Wishing your father in-law all the best health. I'm sure things will work out. Miss you, Love you, thinking good thoughts to you.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

Idea: take a deeeeeeeeeep breath...

Now, the problem isn't solved, but don'tcha feel a little better? ;)

No? Scream into a pillow. Sometimes that helps!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mama to Monkeys said...

I have an idea...

Trust.

Trust that it will work itself out.

I used to bawl hysterically before every semester because child care issues were not falling into place as readily as I would like...and it *always* worked out somehow. Not always ideally, but it just did.

So, deep breath to you and hugs, because I know just how hard and overwhelming it is. Keep the faith and do your best because that is all you can control.

Hang in there, it will be over soon!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Housefairy said...

Holy crap, that BLOWS. I don't know what you are going to do, but I would babysit in a heartbeat if I wasn't 1200 miles away :(

You midwives need a daycare swap system, huh? Would it be entirely innapropriate to ask the pregnant Mamas for the phone # of a good sitter?

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home