Friday, September 21, 2007

What's my name?

So here's the thing. I have decided to become a little more anonymous here in blog-ville. Not least of all because I live and work in a smallish community and well, my readership is increasing. Lots of you know my name, and that's cool. Many of you even know my address. But in the interests of maintaining a little mystery (and I quite like mystery) I've decided to change my name, and you'll notice that I now live in the quaint hamlet of Leafy Corner. If anyone ever asks me I shall deny ever living on the island which was my last known location.

I have pondered what I should call myself. I wandered about looking for a good historical midwife name to borrow, but that all seemed a bit self-aggrandizing. Kinda like calling myself Ina May. Just wouldn't work. AT ALL.

So what do you think?
Give me a name.

The person who submits the name I use will be sent an item knitted by my hands, with much love (thanks Em. for the idea) within the next 12 months (but probably before the end of winter).

10 Comments:

Blogger Masked RN said...

I just went through a similar transformation... I literally changed my name, legally. So, I know how hard it is -- and how truly liberating it is to name yourself. Indulge and have fun with it. My chosen name is Myra. It sounded both earthy and exotic to me. I love hearing my new name. I offer up the suggestions, "Marley" or "Maura" for you. I also like the smooth, calming sound of these names....

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea what your name should be! Something nature-ish and cute. Or maybe goddessy. I loved becoming Estella (taken from my favorite literary figure--Great Expectations.)

8:25 PM  
Blogger M said...

I've always thought Artemis was a good mwfry pen name (Greek goddess of midwives and birthing).

but perhaps if that feels too grand for right now. . . Artemis's Apprentice?

or just MidMad Mama?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

I just couldn't resist jumping in on this one, seeing the prize is made from your hands!

I've always loved Swahili and so I looked up two words and put them together. Of course, it's just a translation of your original blog name:

Mamake Mkunga = mama midwife

Sanba means midwife in Japanese

Partera means midwife in Spanish, but I thought "Paterita" would be cute: it's sort of an affectionate way of saying "little midwife."

and then I also thought "Birth Maven" suits you.

There is also "Vianwen (Vee-AHN-when)," which doesn't mean anything at all, just a word I accidentally spelled on Internet Scrabble one day and liked the sound and nobility of it.

12:19 PM  
Blogger mit said...

How about Juno from Juno Lucina - Mother of Lights and a Roman goddess of childbirth. I have a beautiful picture of her in the front of my course synopsis for this semester.

Joanne
http://expatmidwife.blogspot.com/

12:20 PM  
Blogger mit said...

Hi

How about Juno from Juno Lucina the mother of lights and roman goddess of childbirth. I have a beautiful picture of her on the front of my new semester pack from school.

Joanne
http://expatmidwife.blogspot.com/

12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I vote for
Laurentia

after Acca Laurentia, foster mother of Romulus and Remus.

but I like stuff like that

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raine - after the typical weather pattern around these parts.

I'm not very good at coming up with names though...

love and peace.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Mama to Monkeys said...

I like the idea of something descriptive of who you are...take my name for example, I am a Monkey's Mom. Yup, that's me!

How about "Midwife to the Masses"? Or maybe "MidWife, not MedWife"...

Even better, Atawhai, which means caring in Maori (and has roots in New Zealand and the South Pacific). It is pronounced "Ah tah FAI".

Hope you are well!
Angela

8:22 PM  
Blogger mb said...

Despite all the butterflies in
the stomach...just your average pick-up-and-move-life jitters, we are all so
excited.

Maybe you can help me since we will be dwelling in the same state... p I am 24 weeks pregnant (2 previous births, both
at home, both amazing) and have no midwife as of yet in WA. Any suggestions? The hands-off kind would be the best:-)

(tried to email you, but it came bouncing back. sorry to post this publicly).

bless
marybeth

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home