Tuesday, July 10, 2007

First Blood

Today I drew blood for the first time on a real client. Only one 'miss' before I hit paydirt, and then silly me took tourniquet off too soon, so was able only to fill 3 out of four vials with precious body fluid. But still I drew blood for the first time. If that doesn't impress you, perhaps the fact that my midwife is about to let me at her post partum clients to perform their 6 week pap smears will.

And yes, even though it may gross a few of you out (well, maybe just my folks) I will be sharing details of that student milestone too when the time comes.

:)

2 Comments:

Blogger Emma Someone said...

I took blood for the first time a few months ago so I can share your wonder. It was very cool.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grats on the blood draw!

I wonder if you can explain the rational on a pap at 6 weeks? (I'm 6 weeks postpartum this week, and no way I'd consent to a pap this early! But that's just me.)

Is it because it's the last midwifery visit, and so convenient to do then? Is it routine with OBs to do a pap at 6 weeks and so midwives do it too?

Also, does this midwife do paps at the first prenatal like OBs do? If not, perhaps thats why they do the 6 week one.

Cherrie

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home