Skill.
I learned to suture today.
Now having been the owner of a twice lacerated vaginal floor and perineum, I know that it's never fun to be on the recieving end of these repairs. But it sure makes a helluva difference when whoever is wielding the needle is fast, deliberate and does pretty work. I also think that it doesn't hurt if you've watched Eriq La Salle practice throwing suture knots on ER re-runs a zillion times, or, more recently (dear departed) Preston Burke reconstructing cleaved chickens on Gray's Anatomy.
While I hope I don't have the pleasure of this too frequently I'm going to be very good at birth repairs.
You know you have it bad in this business when you get rediculous amounts of pleasure fashioning a damaged vaginal floor and perineum (decent 2nd degree lac) from a raw beef rump roast and then (sterile field, lidocaine and all) you repair it with 3.0 chromic gut and brand spankin new Mayo-Hegar needle holder.
Even cooler when desperately admired instructor midwife says she's very impressed.
Now having been the owner of a twice lacerated vaginal floor and perineum, I know that it's never fun to be on the recieving end of these repairs. But it sure makes a helluva difference when whoever is wielding the needle is fast, deliberate and does pretty work. I also think that it doesn't hurt if you've watched Eriq La Salle practice throwing suture knots on ER re-runs a zillion times, or, more recently (dear departed) Preston Burke reconstructing cleaved chickens on Gray's Anatomy.
While I hope I don't have the pleasure of this too frequently I'm going to be very good at birth repairs.
You know you have it bad in this business when you get rediculous amounts of pleasure fashioning a damaged vaginal floor and perineum (decent 2nd degree lac) from a raw beef rump roast and then (sterile field, lidocaine and all) you repair it with 3.0 chromic gut and brand spankin new Mayo-Hegar needle holder.
Even cooler when desperately admired instructor midwife says she's very impressed.


3 Comments:
I sutured my first (2nd degree lac - I did all but the muscle layer) perineum the other night - coached and emotionally hand-held and not-breathing and cursing my own lack of finesse and praying that the woman was not unduly damaged by my lack of speed and deciseveness.
I was on such a high afterwards! Yes, yes, we have it bad:)
and as per your latest comment - it's a 100% genetically furnished & conceived Canadian baby. Just getting in some Kiwi growing time (not to mention kiwi-midiwfe prodding & belly rubbing) before I nip back home to nest & birth. La dee da, don't I sound so global & calm about it all?
And now off to wrench hair out over ethicolegal concepts for impending exam (you know, not quite as fun as needlework of the living flesh).
xo,
M
I can't wait to learn all these things. I am a seamstress, so I hope to God I can be deft at sewing up someone's most personal possession. Maybe I should get out a rump-roast and start practicing.
One thing, though - I'm terrified of having to do it while holding the needle and cat-gut with clamps.
You DID have some awfully good looking lines of stitches going, Louisa.
Post a Comment
<< Home