Friday, March 30, 2007

Up for air, then back down again...

Here's Friday. Two more days until new syllabi rise up and quarter three begins. I've been recovering from the strep most of the week. Had a reasonably good week with the boys (two dentist visits, two doctor's visits, new glasses in the works), have two leads on possible babysitters for after UberNanny heads off into the sunset. I even made time for naps (if they nap, I nap) and a couple of abreviated drinking sessions with some of my girls. My house is still pretty much trashed. I sat in the sun this morning while my boys dug tunnel city in the sandpit and my dog snacked on the piles of deer poop in the yard- Name briefly changed to "shit-eater" - and knitted some of the bright purple and chartreuse jumper/sweater which Naughty will sport proudly when I'm done.

I planned a dinner party for 8 on Saturday to complicate my life a bit. Hopefully it will be fun and I will avoid repeat of my drunken pitched battle about gun ownership with communist ex-marine friend. At the very least, as we'll be inside my home this time, it may not be quite so embarrassing as the last time in the middle of the local pub. Just goes to show that even when you are friends with a bunch of leftist radicals (much like myself, actually) you can still find lots to argue about.

On Wednesday I shall interview with a Midwife. I may just become an apprenticed midwife afterall. I'm nervous.

The last job I interviewed for was a corporate marketing gig with a study abroad consortium. I was flown out to Colorado, it was probably the finest job interview, ever. I rocked it. I was offered a $75k/yr job at the end of it, which I didn't end up taking (long story). But at that interview I knew what to wear (a nice suit with cool tailored, pink shirt, Kenneth Cole pumps). I had a couple o f years experience with a firm who competed with the peeps I was interviewing with, I knew they wanted me. I was most definitely an asset to them.

This time around I feel like I'm interviewing at 14 for the first job I ever had. Which incidentally was at my neighbor's news agency. I'm perplexed about not being quite sure what I should wear. I have no experience and I know what feels like nothing. But I will keep my fingers crossed that she sees my passion and takes me on.

More than a little intimidating.

But exciting like crazy all the same.

Those of you who have done this, any tips for the un-initiated?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say to wear an outfit that makes you feel amazing. You know - the kind of outfit that when you catch your reflection in a mirror, you're proud of who you are. Good luck.

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wear a scarf. Midwives seem to dig scarves. *snicker*

3:18 PM  
Blogger Bob the Frog said...

hey lousia--thanks again for dinner on sat! i'm sure you'll do great at your interview, but remember that you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you!! This always helps me feel not so nervous--knowing that I am looking for the right match too. good luck!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home