Monday, March 19, 2007

The Universe will provide, right?

Today, as promised, is a better day.

My eldest son is about to turn 5. Well, he'll be 5 in July. In any event I think the only ones who may trip out more than me about that little titbit is probably my parents. Their almost 30 year old, has an almost 5 year old. Wacky how the world works, ain't it? in a few short months he'll head off to Kindy (full-day kindy). This is, quite simply, miraculous!

But I digress. In my no childcare having mental breakdown yesterday I frantically promised myself thatI'd call some childcare centers this morning to see whats up.

Gee, am I glad I did that. Somewhere in the last year and a half, my toddler ceased being so damn expensive. When last I investigated day care for His Naughtiness it was going to set me back ~$1500 a month for 3 days care.

Holy shit.

That priced us right out of that particular market and left me with the impression that Bill Gate's underlings all live on my island with their infant children all in full time daycare. My theory is that somewhere someone (definitely a man, and probably a fundamentalist religious freak... hmmm maybe he is fromTexas??) decided that pricing childcare for infants well above the normal family's means (i.e. primary income from some other source than Microsoft inc.) was a super way to keep women out of the workforce. Or the education force for that matter.

Turns out though that once you've been out of the workforce for two plus years (and so your resume is all but WORTHLESS) childcare fees plummet to a level which is almost affordable and you can maybe, if you are lucky enough, secure that precious, solid gold place on the waiting list. In other words cast your hopes to the god/desses and hope the planets allign in your favor.

So here we sit with both children on waiting lists for spots in September (Naughty's runs to a mere $670-odd per month and afterschool care for Eldest to a modest $200). Oh, we'll be cancelling the family's health insurance ASAP because that's the only way you can pay for any of this. But it's just (like, we've eaten our last takeout for the forseeable future) do-able.

There are many upsides to this arrangement:
  • We reclaim the second bedroom from nanny inhabitant
  • We might reclaim something resembling a sex life (walls thin as paper - decidedly not conducive to nookie with nanny in earshot)
  • Naughty will get to play with lots of kiddies his own age and thus escapes a year of TV as babysitter as I try to pass Midwifery Care 3
  • I feel less like a shitty mother and more like a decent student.
Now all I have to do is locate someone to care for both my children over the summer. Am SERIOUSLY contemplating selling some eggs to pay for that. How's THAT for reproductive freedom, Mr. President?

(Rant brewing...)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen aka Evilynmo said...

Yes, a million times yes. The universe will provide =)

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home