Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Can I get a little backup here?

Ok Mamas, Midwives, Homebirthers of all stripes...

I'm in the middle of finals week and up to my neck in tests and presentations. A couple of days ago I posted the Boston article I posted earlier to the other site I write for. The OB who also writes for the site had the following to say:
...As for the woman who attempted a home VBAC (personally, one of the most medically unsound practices I could imagine) and ends up with a baby who seized, well, is that what women want? The option to deliver "naturally" comes with a host of medical complications, the most severe being neonatal asphyxiation, death, maternal hemorrhage, and death-sure, rare outcomes, but ones that I have personally seen in hospital deliveries. The more that women insist on home deliveries, the more these outcomes will occur, from time to time. Anyone who wants to take those risks, be my guest.
Nice, right? Shit. if I had a half hour to post a reply I would. If you have a moment would you be so kind as to shoot that site a few comments from women who "insist on homebirth". I'll start work on a rebuttal of her comment. I'm so steamed right now.

Grrr!

How the fuck did we get to a point where those of us who deliver vaginally (let alone those of us who chose to birth with minimal intervention, or even, shock-horror, at home) are viewed as a movement on the lunatic fringe?!?!

I'd appreciate your backup in the interim...

Cheers.

3 Comments:

Blogger One Hot Mama said...

How the fuck did we get to a point where those of us who deliver vaginally (let alone those of us who chose to birth with minimal intervention, or even, shock-horror, at home) are viewed as a movement on the lunatic fringe?!?!

We're on the savage reservations. It's a Brave New World, baybee.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've wasted so much time being pissed off at assholes like this that now I just do my best to ignore it. Sure, I got mighty steamed up reading this post, but no matter how much evidence, testimonials and statistics you throw at people like this (which you think would sway them, since they are always throwing their own "evidence" around!), they still stick to their belief that "OMG IF BABIES R BORN AT HOME THEY'LL DIE." You can lead an OB to water, but you can't make him think. I'm tired of fighting the good fight. Good luck!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Red Sonja said...

Asshats like that sOB are the reason that so many women are seeking out midwives as care providers. Misinformation like that makes the battle to get homebirths covered by more insurance companies even more difficult.

Once again I am reminded how much I loved my homebirth midwife.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home