Welcome Declan Alexander
Welcome to the world little guy. Your mama is a fierce and wise woman who worked hard to grow you strong and who educated herself brilliantly in the challenge and art of birthing inside a system which can be startlingly unkind to mamas. I am brimful of pride for your Mother, my friend. I'm grateful also for your Daddy and your Mama's midwife and doula. Who supported her in her work to birth you. You are one lucky boy.
A long time ago before your Mama really thought about having babies she said to me "I don't think I could ever have a baby without an epidural". She did though. She labored for many hours to bring you into the world without pain relief. She found within herself a place to "ride out" the storm of labor. She found the ability that I believe almost all women possess to birth their babies without medications. In doing this, in walking the harder road, as it turned out, she likely saved your life. For after your head emerged, your little shoulders were stuck for a scary few minutes. The exhaustion and terror of the final moments of your birth I can only imagine.
Your first couple of days were spent away from your Mama, resting and healing in the NICU. Your Mama pumped her milk for you and held you against her skin when she could. You should know this, because you may not remember. It's terribly hard for mamas to be away from their babies because they are sick. Pumping is not a wonderful way to spend your first days as a mother, not when what you want is your much wanted and much loved baby at your breast. It was what she did though because she wanted what was best for your little body to heal and grow.
Now you are home together and she can't understand why she can't stop crying. You understand though in your baby heart, that her tears are just the overflow from her heart of happiness and relief that you are finally here, healthy and happy. You will have met your big brother, Winston. He's big, and furry and he's also confused because he was your Mama's baby first, and he's not sure why his world has changed. He'll figure it out though, and you two will grow strong and happy together.
So little Declan, welcome. It's a big, strange, wonderful place. But you have with you two parents who love you beyond measure. And a community of family and friends who will nurture you, and laugh with (and at you) as you explore all of life's richness. Your job now is to drink much milk and to pee and poop lots. To watch the world and the faces of the people who come to visit you.
I won't be able to visit you for a while, but know that across this big country we live in, that you have friends who are thinking of you and your Mama and Daddy. We love you and we're glad you are finally here. Safe. We can't wait to meet you.
P.S. By the way, for a Jewish bloke, your Dad makes the best baked ham in the Universe. You have that to look forward to in about 6 months. Seriously. You lucked out in the Parent Lottery!
A long time ago before your Mama really thought about having babies she said to me "I don't think I could ever have a baby without an epidural". She did though. She labored for many hours to bring you into the world without pain relief. She found within herself a place to "ride out" the storm of labor. She found the ability that I believe almost all women possess to birth their babies without medications. In doing this, in walking the harder road, as it turned out, she likely saved your life. For after your head emerged, your little shoulders were stuck for a scary few minutes. The exhaustion and terror of the final moments of your birth I can only imagine.
Your first couple of days were spent away from your Mama, resting and healing in the NICU. Your Mama pumped her milk for you and held you against her skin when she could. You should know this, because you may not remember. It's terribly hard for mamas to be away from their babies because they are sick. Pumping is not a wonderful way to spend your first days as a mother, not when what you want is your much wanted and much loved baby at your breast. It was what she did though because she wanted what was best for your little body to heal and grow.
Now you are home together and she can't understand why she can't stop crying. You understand though in your baby heart, that her tears are just the overflow from her heart of happiness and relief that you are finally here, healthy and happy. You will have met your big brother, Winston. He's big, and furry and he's also confused because he was your Mama's baby first, and he's not sure why his world has changed. He'll figure it out though, and you two will grow strong and happy together.
So little Declan, welcome. It's a big, strange, wonderful place. But you have with you two parents who love you beyond measure. And a community of family and friends who will nurture you, and laugh with (and at you) as you explore all of life's richness. Your job now is to drink much milk and to pee and poop lots. To watch the world and the faces of the people who come to visit you.
I won't be able to visit you for a while, but know that across this big country we live in, that you have friends who are thinking of you and your Mama and Daddy. We love you and we're glad you are finally here. Safe. We can't wait to meet you.
P.S. By the way, for a Jewish bloke, your Dad makes the best baked ham in the Universe. You have that to look forward to in about 6 months. Seriously. You lucked out in the Parent Lottery!
Labels: babies


2 Comments:
Just popping in to say I enjoy reading your blog. As a student midwife on hiatus from my studies I love soaking in all the birth blogs I can!
BTW, I am a blogger too and just updated my blog.
Amy
I'll have to send them a Mazel Tov!
Post a Comment
<< Home