Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My Letter to Delta.

Dear Delta Air,

I write to protest your company's decision to eject a ticketed passenger from her flight because she was simply nursing her baby. Women (and their children) have a legal right to breastfeed anywhere they may legally be in most parts of the United States. Your airline should be supporting women's right to breastfeed their babies! Having breastfed my own children on many flights both domestically and internationally I can say that I was absolutely dismayed that your company would be so unfriendly to a nursing mother and her child. Breastmilk is the best food for babies and it is perfectly acceptable that a mother should choose to nurse her baby (especially on a plane) as this helps to comfort a child in a strange environment and equalize air pressure in an aircraft cabin.

It is unreasonable to expect that a mother should cover the head of a child who is nursing, many children (mine among them) will not tolerate this, and it upsets them further. If your flight attendants had a problem with the sight of a nursing mother then perhaps it is they who should have covered their head with a blanket, or simply looked away.

I want you to know that until Delta air issues a public and categorical apology to the victim of your company's actions, and takes formal steps to ensure that this sort of humiliating and discriminatory treatment will not be meted out again to another innocent and unsuspecting passenger, my family and I will not be flying with you again. Furthermore, I will also be urging that my friends and colleagues do the same.

Shame on you!
Yours Sincerely,

Louisa MamaMidwife

Seattle, Washington.

****************

Delta's Response:

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us.
We appreciate every opportunity to listen to
our customers and act upon what we hear.
Our response to your e-mail may take a little longer
than usual due to the high number of customers
who have contacted us recently.
In the meantime, thanks for your patience.
No worries Delta, you're likely to find me very patient. Especially given that it's probably a bunch of my mates who are clogging up your e-mail channels with pissy notes like the one above. I'm happy to wait and muster my strength for round two. I fully intend becoming a huge and very diligent pain in your ass. The hand that rocks the cradle, baby...

Don't you DARE fuck with the Mamas. It will inevitably bite you in the arse.

Bossy yesterday, scrappy today.
Wonder what tomorrow holds?

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Laycock said...

Loved your letter to Delta. ;) Just wanted to drop a quick comment to let you know that I've linked to it from The Lactivist blog.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it stupid????? I have to fly Delta to my grandma's funeral because the last minute tix would cost me $1200 if my hubby didn't have the frequent flier miles. :-P

You can bet that if I had any kids that would still nurse, I'd take them with me and nurse them!!!!

what is the mother supposed to do? Pump and put it in a bottle? Oh, wait, they don't let them do that either!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great letter! I'm going to write one myself and encourage all the mothers I know to do the same. And I won't be flying Delta Airlines anytime soon, that's for sure!

Aeve Baldwin, New York, NY

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent letter. I've written one myself and I can't imagine that they'll let this go unresolved much longer.

Would love for you to check out my pregnancy blog at http://thinpinklines.livejournal.com/

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home