Sunday, July 16, 2006

Conventional vs. "Altie" Medicine

I've been blown away recently by some of the blogs and discussion boards I've been lurking around. Some folks in the conventional medicine camp are well and truly freaking out about the trend toward so-called "Altie's" and the rise in popularity of chiropractors, acupuncturists, homeopaths and naturopaths. The vitriol is pretty amazing. The disrespect for the decisions made by the people who choose those therapies is also huge. Disagree with their choices and their reasons by all means, but when you ridicule you only distance yourself further from people you claim to want to help.

I came across one OB on a message board who quite accurately pinned at least some of the desire of women to retain the services of Doulas and/or to pursue homebirth because the (traditional?) bedside manner of some in Obstetrics quite simply SUCKS. It's interesting that more and more folks are reminding themselves of the old crack "What do you call a med student who graduates last in his class? M.D." Docs are no longer the demi-gods they once were. People are demanding more respect and more choices in birth and just about everything else . That dissatisfaction is manifest in the shift in some quarters away from conventional medicine to alternative therapies.

I developed a medically significant scoliosis as a teenger which required treatment with a back brace for many months. Once I was out of my brace my Orthopedic surgeon wanted nothing more to do with me. I was turned out without so much as physical therapy to help strengthen the muscles which had wasted during the months inside the brace. I continue to have musculoskeletal issues related to the curves in my spine and so, not wanting to pursue the surgical options offered by conventional medicine, I explored chiropractic. I have, without exception loved the chiropractors who have treated my back issues. They had great attitudes, were open and loving and believed in my body's ability to heal. One of my chiropractors had what can only be described as an almost supernatural understanding of what was going on with my body (how's that for WOO WOO?). I've enjoyed significant improvement from their treatments for the painful symptoms which I initially sought therapy for and for whatever reason, other benefits, most significantly to the irritable bowel symptoms I've had for years. Was the secondary benefit because of the spinal adjustments? I have no idea. Do I care particularly? Not really. Which will I see in the future, Chiropractor or Orthopod? Not tough to guess that a good chiro will be getting my business until such time as Orthopedics comes up with a better option or surgery is absolutely indicated.

I get irritated with the screams of "show me the data!!". Perhaps because so much of the criticism of my chosen field of study is peppered with the abject refusal of critics to accept the validity of the research. But for some folks there is no study, no matter how comprehensive or well constructed, which could be released that would change their minds. I've accepted that. It's a bit like that great bumper sticker "Don't like abortion (or craniosacral adjustment/acupuncture/homebirth)? Don't have one". Good research is important but it's not the whole picture. Some results are not tangible. I'm sure there are many Docs out there who've treated people who should not have survived whatever illness/injury and yet, mysteriously they did. I'm not preaching miracles here but really, there does exist some intangible/inexplicable/unquantifiable right? I really believe that some of the benefits of some of these "altie" things (glorified placebo effect or no) may not be able to be measured or quantified. They just simply exist. Just because they cannot be measured does not mean that they impact the lives of people any less powerfully.

I'm not anti-doctor, but I am anti-disrespect and anti-ridicule. Trust is so important and yet it seems to be so rarely earned in modern medicine. My "alternative" healthcare providers took the time and expended the energy to earn my trust. My healing - their job - benefited from that time and energy. I can understand why people bypass conventional medicine, though I don't necessarily agree with their reasons why. I think the question conventional medicine should be asking is not "Why are these people so bloody stupid" but rather "What is it that we as practitioners should be doing to renew their trust in our efforts and motivation to heal?". Why can those folks not accept that which they cannot change, and work on what they can?

Conventional medicine is undergoing a PR crisis which I think it desperately needed. I'm glad people are demanding more choices and improved service from the people who are ultimately there to serve. My message to those folks who rail against the people who seek treatment from practitioners you think are "quacks"? You need to work harder to deserve their trust and confidence in the methods you practice. Your people skills are at least as important as your clinical skills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home