Good Things
It feels like recently all I've been doing is bitching about stuff. How awful I think circumcision is, how crappy the whole breastfeed/formula feed thing is, how coersive C-sections are evil etc. etc.
This weekend I enjoyed the ritual that is an American Wedding Shower. I was in a big room with a bunch of women who all love my friend Carrie like crazy. Carrie's marrying a Kentucky fan over Labor Day weekend and I get to stand up for her in a dress that can only be described as Hot Pink. Really, truly rockin. The coolest damn bridesmaid's dress ever. It was a joyful, joyful day filled with stories and love and family. Lovely.
On the drive home I got to thinking about the other good stuff going on right now. SO here's a list.
About 8 months ago I was scheduled to attend the birth of a client's baby in my doula capacity. Long, hairy story cut short: Baby was delivered by emergency c-section after mama became eclamptic (which is what can happen at the end of pre-eclampsia). Mama was unconscious and it all happened too fast for Dad to even make it into the OR. He too missed the birth of his daughter. I was left holding his hand outside the O.R. as he cried. It was the first time I was Doula to a Dad. Mama then spent several days in the ICU after she was diagnosed with H.E.L.P syndrome. Awful stuff. I was beside myself. It was the first time I'd ever seen birth go really bad. But some remarkable lessons presented themselves:
I'm inspired by the homebirths of my friends and the stories of the midwives I read. It reinforces for me the calling I feel. Many people don't "get" it. And they don't have to. Because there are lots of people out there who really do. Who've worked in birthspace or felt the power of their own births. They too have touched the magic. One day I'll stand with them to pass on that knowledge.
So there's a snapshot of what's good right now. Oh, and one more thing:
I'm happy that my Toddler seems to be saying "bye-bye". Not quoting Shakespeare. Just "bye-bye". It's a start.
This weekend I enjoyed the ritual that is an American Wedding Shower. I was in a big room with a bunch of women who all love my friend Carrie like crazy. Carrie's marrying a Kentucky fan over Labor Day weekend and I get to stand up for her in a dress that can only be described as Hot Pink. Really, truly rockin. The coolest damn bridesmaid's dress ever. It was a joyful, joyful day filled with stories and love and family. Lovely.
On the drive home I got to thinking about the other good stuff going on right now. SO here's a list.
About 8 months ago I was scheduled to attend the birth of a client's baby in my doula capacity. Long, hairy story cut short: Baby was delivered by emergency c-section after mama became eclamptic (which is what can happen at the end of pre-eclampsia). Mama was unconscious and it all happened too fast for Dad to even make it into the OR. He too missed the birth of his daughter. I was left holding his hand outside the O.R. as he cried. It was the first time I was Doula to a Dad. Mama then spent several days in the ICU after she was diagnosed with H.E.L.P syndrome. Awful stuff. I was beside myself. It was the first time I'd ever seen birth go really bad. But some remarkable lessons presented themselves:
- Skilled obstetricians are in their element at times like this. I thought her OB had crappy, crappy bedside manner, but when a crisis arose she undoubtedly saved their lives. This C-section was necessary and I was, and am, grateful for it. It was a lesson I needed.
- Her birth (the mothers memory) was almost non-exisitent. But a sweet and gifted perinatologist had the forethought to think of, ask and receive permission to pump while mama was comatose. Her milksupply was at least established. And 8 months later that baby is still breastfed and Mama couldn't be prouder. Because of her meds she was never able to exclusively breastfeed but that baby has had some breastmilk every day and probably will for many more months. The Mama treasures this beyond measure. For that I am grateful.
I'm inspired by the homebirths of my friends and the stories of the midwives I read. It reinforces for me the calling I feel. Many people don't "get" it. And they don't have to. Because there are lots of people out there who really do. Who've worked in birthspace or felt the power of their own births. They too have touched the magic. One day I'll stand with them to pass on that knowledge.
So there's a snapshot of what's good right now. Oh, and one more thing:
I'm happy that my Toddler seems to be saying "bye-bye". Not quoting Shakespeare. Just "bye-bye". It's a start.


1 Comments:
Sometimes it's the simple things that make us realize we are blessed.
Hh
Post a Comment
<< Home