Thursday, June 15, 2006

Question Prompted By

I should have mentioned that all my pondering about the lack of research into remedies for breastfeeding supply issues was prompted largely by the in the current media interest (thanks to Navelgazing Midwife for posting the NY Times article in it's entirety) in the culmination of a two year advertising push by the government here in the States to increase breastfeeding rates.

The government really aughtta put it's money where it's big fat mouth is. Instead of telling women that their decision to formula feed is similar to smoking while pregnant - Do I need to tell you how bloody unfair THAT is?? - They should redirect their advertising money and fund some research into the physiological causes of what seems to be a national epidemic of undersupply in breastfeeding mothers. Why not find a solution to the problem rather than just assuming (wrongly) that mothers aren't trying hard enough or are just being lazy?

Beacuse at the end of the day breastfeeding, childbearing and mothering are jobs that are MASSIVELY UNDERVALUED. They are just trying to look like they care when in all reality they are more interested in reducing the healthcare costs associated with endemic formula feeding.

That's my theory.

Oh. And for the record: I'd rather like the opportunity to discuss the highpoints of breastfeeding challenges with one or more (particularly male) members of congress. I'd like to draw their attention to the concepts of recurrent mastitis, shredded nipples (yeah like someone's grated 'em with a cheese grater), and thrush. Before they put black box warnings on formula I'd like them to be really familiar with these issues. Bastards.

1 Comments:

Blogger RedSpiral said...

Let's have coffee. ;)

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home