I'm sorry too.
Later this afternoon, Wednesday morning in Australia. Australia's new Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will apologize to the Aboriginal people of Australia for more than two centuries of mistreatment and cruelty, kidnappings and theft. You can read the full text of his apology here.I am proud that Australia's government is finally doing the right thing. Finally saying sorry for these many thousands of wrongs. This isn't about liability, this is about the simple, human gesture of saying I'm sorry for the pain your people suffered at the hands and policies of my European Australian forefathers. Che Cockatoo Collin's letter to his Granny, a member of The Stolen Generations, says it beautifully.
I hope with all my heart that this apology, this National Sorry Day goes some way toward healing the pain so many generations of Australians have suffered.
Now Australia must look forward, and work with just as much compassion to heal and protect the most recent generations and indeed entire communities of indigenous Australians. There is much work yet to be done.


1 Comments:
Congratulations to Australia. For having the high standards to apologize for an obvious wrong. It says loads about the people of Australia. I'm proud of them.
Cherrie
Post a Comment
<< Home