Thursday, July 09, 2009

Backassward

Ok, let me preface this with the fact that I'm only slightly post-coffee, and so my morning hair-trigger persists a little. But HOLY shit, what is it about the reactions to the Pit to Distress discussions?? Mercifully most of the reactions have been ones of disgust and anger (where I think they should be), but increasingly I'm seeing it spun into two camps: the "this wouldn't be happening if women didn't all ask to be induced so often because they're miserable, or their inlaws are coming, or doc is going on vacation" or the nursing camp which is focussing on the nurses responsibility to decline, or argue unsafe physician orders. It's not even about whether or not the words "pit to distress" or "pit to D or D", or whatever else are written into the chart or are accepted as a reasonable option in any hospital. While the nursing ramifications of these types of orders are very reasonable discussions to be having, NONE of these angles addresses the issue at hand!

Regardless of whether or not a woman is so rediculously miserable with being pregnant, or whether a nurse can use her hospitals protocols as back up to refuse to administer what she feels is an unsafe dose of medication we're talking about a system in which physicians are allowed to practice in a manner which is DANGEROUS and LIFE THREATENING. We MUST NOT blame women for presenting for an induction when they have (usually) been given what they -and probably their physicians - truly believe to be good clinical reasons. We MUST NOT blame the nursing staff for having to act as the safeguards for their patients (or not being able to, as the case may be). We HAVE to call the physicians (ACOG?!) on this particularly vile mismanagement and the medical school programs who teach their students that labors can be 'managed' this way. Where's the accountability?!!

I don't give a rats ass (sorry again, it's the coffee) if some quarters believe that this isn't common and therefore not worth getting worked up about. In the last few days I've heard first hand report after first hand report, in my state (where incidentally the ACOG chair - who is very pro-midwife and homebirth - when asked about this was shocked and appalled too), in other states. When the words "pit to distress" appear in textbooks the case can be fairly made that this is happening too frequently. Honestly I believe that even once would be too many. If you're uncertain if a mom/baby needs a cesarean, then to my mind you have two options: 1. You make the decision that the dyad needs a cesarean (hopefully for a sound clinical indication) or 2. You WAIT and WATCH for a true indication that takes them to the OR. Throwing high dose pit into the equation to accelerate this call is simply reckless and also, I think, cowardly. Asking nursing staff to participate in that process is beyond cowardly. I've stood up and applauded for the nurses who have made it clear to their physicians that "they want the pit turned up, they can do it themselves". The nurses shouldn't have to fight to 'protect' their patients.

As ever rising cesarean section rates are debated in this country I think that we have to very closely examine the reasons which are so commonly brandished by the physician camp: "you don't get sued for doing a c/s, you get sued for not doing one", "The childbearing demographic has changed" (AKA, too old, to fat, too short, too young etc. etc.), and address more closely the MANAGEMENT of pregnancy and labor in this country. Midwives are working largely with the same demographic, and yet through attentive, comprehensive, holistic prenatal care, excellent childbirth education, one on one labor support, and yes, no routine pharmaceutical augmentation of labor, we manage to facilitate vaginal births for many, many more women just as safely. All that, AND midwives are many times less likely to be sued by clients, even after bad outcomes - even in states where professional indemnity insurance is available to midwives. Why? Probably because midwives take the time and work hard to establish solid, trusting relationships with their patients - something which (respectfully) is tricky to do when you only see your physician for short minutes at a time and who (usually) step into the room as your baby crowns. So the "you don't get sued for doing a c/s" thing rings hollow. All too often mother/physician relationships are based on blind faith that your doc has your best interests at heart. Clearly though, as we discuss "pit to distress" that faith is terribly misplaced. That this is happening AT ALL, ANYWHERE, is TOO MUCH.

What we need to figure out is what we have to do to stop it and we have to stop blaming the women for what happens to them when they walk into a hospital.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

WOMEN are to blame??!?? Oh, no. Fuck that. There's my coffee for ya!

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

I think there is a difference in the UK though in that (A) we use syntocinon (same thing though) & (B) we are autonomous practioners, even in a hospital, so 'pit to distress' would simply never, ever happen here. I have seen babies react horribly to a synto infusion & the infusion has been stopped immediately every time.

Yes, the 'system' in the US is wrong, but at the same time, we as nurses/midwives do not have to co-operate with it or be part of it.

Liz x

10:33 AM  
Blogger mamasara said...

Well said, Louisa. The whole dead baby card is played so often, and since mom's are not usually educated to the level of the OB, they take the OB at their word and submit to the interventions. Once that card has been played, a mom's fear and adrenaline have been stoked and it is difficult to turn them of.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Amelia said...

This "pit to distress" leaves me sick to my stomach. I think whether women are electing to induce birth for frivolous reasons is irrelevant to this discussion, although it is disturbing, too. I think many women are uninformed to the point of endangering their babies (all in response to the OB saying, "Do this or your baby will die"), but the OB's ordering this dosing of pitocin are not. It's disgusting, and I almost can't (don't want to) believe it is true.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous NavelgazingMidwife said...

2 weeks ago I had a mom cytotec'd to distress. I am sure it wasn't written, but it was absolutely understood by the nurses. I stood by horrified by what they were doing, not knowing the term or the goal of "Pit to Distress" until yesterday, but it was 1000% exactly what happened. And yes, she had a cesarean for fetal distress (a flat FHT tracing for several hours).

I am disgusted by obstetrics at the moment. Just disgusted.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Louisa said...

I gotta say, with the exception of treating PPH I don't believe misoprostol/cytotec should be used in obstetrics at all. Sigh. Sorry that happened to your client Barb, I hope they are both doing ok.

1:04 PM  
Blogger lizch said...

What an awesome post. If it takes not drinking coffee to create the appropriate response to an outrageous practice, I recommend a lifetime of abstinence :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The question is how can we get this information out to the mainstream and remove the blinders? I'm so sick of hearing that women are "electing" their inductions and cesareans. "Election" comes after being hounded repeatedly at appointments that Dr. knows best. How many have heard the "if you do XYZ...I can guarantee you a healthy baby"? Is any of the Pit to Distress info getting out to the baby boards, etc? I've not been brave enough to go to those boards in years. I leave feeling repulsed and nauseaus.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Louisa said...

I hear you Susan. I figured FB was a good place to start. :)

4:15 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

WELL SAID!

9:16 PM  
Blogger The Crunchy Lactavist - Normalize Breastfeeding said...

I know what we can do...

if it's the whole "we don't get sued over c-sections" reasoning causing the rates to increase...

every single mother in America that had a c-section under questionable circumstances needs to sue their doctor! If only there were a lawyer that would take on such a prospect... seriously, how many women believe their delivery was mismanaged and thus resulted in an unnecessary c-section? I know I am one, and I wonder about the long term effects on my son, from being induced, poorly managed labor, breaking waters, labor "taking too long" etc etc... If we could all stand up with one voice, and that voice had the power behind it of sueing each and every doctor responsible for botching a labor, then we might see some change. Unfortunately, the only other way I see things changing is the slow and steady process of advocacy & awareness, reaching pregnant mothers one by one and educating them before it's too late.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If only we could sue! I had an ungloved exam during an unnecessary induction that directly lead to a MRSA infection. I've fought the MRSA since 2001, even having a bought of it in my thumb tissue and subsequent surgery. I consulted an attorney. His words to me were "you have a healthy baby and NO case". My cesarean is truely the gift that keeps on giving. If only we could find an attorney to take a massive case against ACOG. I'd donate my settlement to ICAN.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous rachael said...

I firmly believe that pit to distress was done to me with my 2nd son. I had repeatedly asked for no pitocin, as I was in active normal labor and nothing was wrong. The doctor was just tired and wanted to go home. It back fire on him and he ended up having to stay longer to sew my mangled vagina back together.

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: Lawsuit, my husband STILL wants me to sue the OB who attended our son's birth - the most egregious thing he did being a manual extraction under conscious sedation for absolutely no reason except it was close dinner time. Not that any of that appears in the record. I had a retained placenta only 20 minutes after birth (I was paying attention to the time), without nursing, and certainly without any attempts to delivery the placenta without internal intervention.
Malpractice attorny's in this state won't take a case without at least $50,000 in damages and a not healthy baby and/or mother. I'm physically healthy but terrified of my upcoming second birth and our son is the very picture of health. There were no long term consequences, at least not that have manifest themselves yet. Therefore, no case.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Uppity Woman said...

I do hate the blame the woman aspect.. and i do believe women need to learn to say NO! out culture does not respect women who say no thus women dont say it enough.
As a midwife in a patriarchal state in the south...I deal with women who have been lied to, hurt, manipulated and thrown out of the office for disagreeing with GOD aka Dr. When do we as women just walk away from them?

7:37 PM  
Blogger Teach-ME-Mom said...

"every single mother in America that had a c-section under questionable circumstances needs to sue their doctor! If only there were a lawyer that would take on such a prospect... seriously, how many women believe their delivery was mismanaged and thus resulted in an unnecessary c-section? I know I am one, and I wonder about the long term effects on my son, from being induced, poorly managed labor, breaking waters, labor "taking too long" etc etc... "


I had a similar experience with my first, and I have run into all kinds of issues since. The labor was induced at 37.5 weeks, partly due to my insistence because of my obstetric cholestasis and the only research I had available to me at the time (can you tell I kick myself daily?). Anyway, my body did what it was supposed to: after a night of cervadil and two days on Pit (up to full dose) - no real contractions, no labor. OB wanted a c/section then. Why? Because, and I quote, "If something happened during the night we'd have to call everyone back in and it'd be really inconvenient." Yes, she said that. Out loud. Unbelievable. Luckily she was teamed up with a midwife who took her out to dinner and talked her down - plus I refused and said I'd walk out AMA.

Anyway, I ended up 'being discharged' and coming back later. Induced again, and I wonder if I was on Pit to Distress - I definitely remember when things were moving slowly (but steadily) the nurse saying "but it's up all the way" when she was on the phone with the OB. Then she came in and turned up the dose again afterward. AROM, 'failure to wait' and so on. BP dropped after they insisted on me having an intrathecal injection to "move things along and allow rest" - had c/s.

Yes, I have a healthy baby - other than the permanent 1/2 cm scar on her scalp from the botched internal monitor and the two day re-admission at 4 days old for jaundice likely caused by the prolonged use of Pit. Me? I have horrible adhesions and resulting pain as a partial result of the OBs rough surgical methods and 'yanking around' my internal organs. My second baby came by c/s following a VBAC attempt I had to fight for (with another provider and different hospital). Nothing like trying to relax and go with the surges while the entire surgical team hangs around at the nurse's station and watches you labor. No pressure there.

So now, 2 c-sections later, I'm told by some that it would be dangerous for me to have another baby because of my adhesions - if there was an emergency they couldn't get in quickly enough. If I do get pregnant again, my chances of being 'allowed' to vbac are slim to none. The vbac-friendly, family-friendly hospital I had my second baby in closed this spring because their OB dept didn't make enough money. Must be their low c-section rate...

Something needs to change. I'd love to see the figures of the increased cost of healthcare due to iatrogenic prematurity from unnecessary inductions and c-sections and mandatory repeats. As the primary c-section rate nears 40%, what does the subsequent c-section rate do??

We need to stand up and fight, healthy babies and mommas or not.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home