Circle complete
Busy week. Three weeks postpartum, submitted two bound copies of my Senior Paper: "The Case for Nitrous Oxide in Out-of-Hospital Midwifery Practice". Presented pearls from said paper on Friday before a small audience. Felt it was decently received.
On Saturday afternoon in a brief but otherwise meaningful ceremony, my few classmates and I walked across a bridge, were presented with assorted things (among them an oak pinard), took an oath, and graduated from midwifery school. Got to tearfully thank Husband, offspring (who clapped loudly) and importantly my beautiful friends T and Niki who made life while in school worth living. Only one of my three preceptors was able to attend (the others had labors and bad pager juju to manage) but I was grateful for the opportunity to thank them publicly, tears rolling, for showing my hands how to do these things, and for setting my heart such beautiful examples of what it is to be a midwife.
I will have to attend another 5 births to fulful school's requirement, though. But after I took a bath in all that lovely, post-baby oxytocin I realized (duh) that I'm a midwife, I like, nay LOVE attending births, and it gives me yet more opportunity to hang out with two preceptors of mine who I love and admire and who I will not have lots of opportunity to work with when I'm figuring out my budding practice.
Plans afoot to possibly sit the NARM portion of the licencing examination in California at the MANA conference (OHM dear, shall we plan on this together?!) and at least have the CPM after my name, before adding the LM bit in February.
Onward now to a relaxing summer with the kidlets, intersperced with the unending tasks required to, variously, obtain licence, establish practice, obtain U.S. citizenship (after ten years, it's about time). August/Sept will bring a return to birth assisting, doula and monitrice gigs before taking clients in earnest in first quarter of 2010.
I continue to feel inclined to jettison MamaMidwifeMadness in favor of a new home here on the blogosphere... What do you cats think? Any bright shiny new name suggestions? Perhaps the blog just needs a facelift?
Thanks all for taking this ride with me. We've come a long way, baby.
On Saturday afternoon in a brief but otherwise meaningful ceremony, my few classmates and I walked across a bridge, were presented with assorted things (among them an oak pinard), took an oath, and graduated from midwifery school. Got to tearfully thank Husband, offspring (who clapped loudly) and importantly my beautiful friends T and Niki who made life while in school worth living. Only one of my three preceptors was able to attend (the others had labors and bad pager juju to manage) but I was grateful for the opportunity to thank them publicly, tears rolling, for showing my hands how to do these things, and for setting my heart such beautiful examples of what it is to be a midwife.
I will have to attend another 5 births to fulful school's requirement, though. But after I took a bath in all that lovely, post-baby oxytocin I realized (duh) that I'm a midwife, I like, nay LOVE attending births, and it gives me yet more opportunity to hang out with two preceptors of mine who I love and admire and who I will not have lots of opportunity to work with when I'm figuring out my budding practice.
Plans afoot to possibly sit the NARM portion of the licencing examination in California at the MANA conference (OHM dear, shall we plan on this together?!) and at least have the CPM after my name, before adding the LM bit in February.
Onward now to a relaxing summer with the kidlets, intersperced with the unending tasks required to, variously, obtain licence, establish practice, obtain U.S. citizenship (after ten years, it's about time). August/Sept will bring a return to birth assisting, doula and monitrice gigs before taking clients in earnest in first quarter of 2010.
I continue to feel inclined to jettison MamaMidwifeMadness in favor of a new home here on the blogosphere... What do you cats think? Any bright shiny new name suggestions? Perhaps the blog just needs a facelift?
Thanks all for taking this ride with me. We've come a long way, baby.


4 Comments:
Yay!! Congrats!! I cannot even tell you how much I have loved reading your blog these past couple of years! You inspire me to no end and have definitely challenged me to keep on pursuing this midwifery path even when I was full of doubt. Can't wait to see what your future holds ;o)
love,
peace,
xoxo
Beth
Love the graduation photo. brought tears to my eyes, partly because of the beautiful babies in the front row and partly because I am missing from the back row. Congratulations.
Congrats over & over & over!
You're a midwife. . . cool :D
(and seriously, did half your class have babies in their final year?!)
Look forward to the shiny new blog ;)
xoxo
A huge 'congratulations' on becoming a midwife and your beautiful baby.
Post a Comment
<< Home