Saturday, May 31, 2008

Am I crazy enough

The practice that I'm working in (and plan to join once I'm done with all this insanity) is steadily growing. What began with 3 or 4 births a month has grown to 5 or 6 in the last 6 months or so. This is lovely, as it means that I can actually look forward to something approximating an income, but in the interim (while I am not yet licenced) it poses some logistical challenges to my lovely midwife - like the fact that she doesn't really want a census that big without some fairly serious help. She has of late had to turn a few new folks away in favor of accommodating her returning clients.

In clinic this week we discussed the possibility of her petitioning my school to allow me to try to graduate early in order to take the February (as in '09 people) licensing exam.

Egads.

Preliminary e-mails suggest that this could in fact be possible, however in order to do this I would have to:
  • Take two classes over the summer (we usually just focus on practicum in the summer)
  • Maintain a full clinic and birth load in 3 (count 'em) practices in order to complete my numbers
  • Take the Advanced Clinical Practice (marathon 3 day practical) exam in December and sit the SMS Comprehensive final (2.5 years of content) in Feb right before the Licensing exam (which I assume will be pretty similar to the comprehensive test)
Oh yeah, and do a three week long camping adventure in NZ with my family (Dec) before a 4 week long rotation in Vanuatu (Jan).

I think I may also have to factor in an inpatient psychiatric stay at some stage as well, which could conceivably complicate the whole clinic/attending births thing...

If I decide not to do this I could anticipate graduating with the rest of my class in June '09, and then sitting the licensing exam in August.

I'm thinking I'll shoot for the August exam.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

you ARE coming to visit me in NZ right?!

and yeah, that sounds nuts. moreso. You could do it though - you'd just be nuts. I'd still like you just the same :)

12:04 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

WOW!! That really says a lot about how confident your preceptors are in you. Good job, Louisa. You have so much to be proud of!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that you totally could do this but think you need to look at your personal schedule and know if you're going to see your family at all and what that means to your time with them.

Again I think you could totally do it and this could be a GREAT opportunity for you!!! I'll even pay for the Psychiatric care should it be needed. I'm sure R & I could make you a nice padded room in your house so you could still see the boys :)

Don't forget that you ROCK!!!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home