Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Four August Babies Down...

Five more to go...

And life really couldn't get much better.

A couple of nights ago I sat and read and chatted off and on with a client as she labored in a very un-fussy, easy way. I glanced at my watch as her baby girl slid to earth. The time was 2.43am. The rest of the world slept through the moment when humanity took a deep breath and moved over to make room for one more. But I was honored enough to watch it happen.

The thought struck me that in that moment there was no place on earth I would rather have been. I didn't even mind the almost 2 hour drive home at dawn. I love to sleep. I would even say that sleep is very important to me, but not caring about how much sleep I've missed is part of what tells me I'm on the right path.

There's always time to sleep later.

****

In other news, I have several exciting new cervical checks under my belt. Including a really funny one with a mother who joked that I was the best she'd ever had. To say I blushed doesn't quite say it.

Another woman happily was (and has been for a week or so) 100% effaced and 3 cms. I tickled her babies head as my preceptor held a doppler, and we all heard babies heart rate accelerate.

****
And finally, excitingly, from my preceptor:
"Whenever you feel ready, Louisa, glove up and sidle in close to me as babe crowns. We'll do a 4 hander."

!!!

For the uninitiated a 4-hander involves student's hands catching, guided by teacher's.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Oh, I am SOOOO envious! I've applied for a position at Open Arms. (Part Project Management/biz and part childbirth ed/doula.) Cross your fingers for me?!

Carol

1:10 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

oh louisa, you beautiful midwifey you!!! You are such an inspiration to me. you make me yearn and itch for school. thank you.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Housefairy said...

You really are a sunbeam. I wish u were my midwife (((grin)))

7:57 PM  
Blogger Emma Someone said...

It's called double gloving here, and it is AMAZING. Congrats!

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home