Look who's coming to dinner...
Neighborhood Coyotes be advised: When I called him Chili-dog that wasn't an invitation to dinner.
I grew up in Australia surrounded by what is often marketed here in America as an inordinate number of poisonous, dangerous and otherwise unfriendly creatures. I grew up swimming in rivers known to be inhabited by large freshwater crocodiles. In the Summer months the ocean near where I lived was swarming with large box jellyfish with stinging tenticles , their friends the bluebottles (Portugese Man o' War) were also about to sting you if you were lucky. We frequenltly encountered large (and I'm talking 7 and 8ft) pythons while on school camping trips and on a couple of occasions my classmates and I encountered reptiles of the more poisonous varieties (Death Adders, Taipans etc). This stuff was so normal that when my mum called the other day to tell me that her dog had brought a "very pretty little baby snake" in from the paddock, I wasn't at all surprised when she figured out it was a red bellied black snake (yep, poisonous). Dog and mother, both fine, baby snake swiftly released back into the paddock without incident...
Now I live in the Pacific Northwest. People here (and most everywhere else in the States) are terrified of snakes and spiders - which don't phase me at all, but are seemingly cool with the PACKS OF COYOTES which are currently HUNTING for prey to feed their new pups in the VALLEY WHERE I LIVE.
Yes, you do detect a note of panic in the above paragraph. I am patently not cool with the coyotes.
Now if they were doing what they are supposed to do, which according to the wildlife-lovin' folks around here insist extends to being very shy, nocturnal creatures then I'd be fine. But so far this week I've been kept up at night by a bloody chorus of howling, barking, screetching wolf-like noises (nothing at all like dogs) punctuated by growling, scrabbling, and finally screaming death cries of whatever poor neighborhood cat was too slow to the cat flap. Outside my window. For. Hours. On. End.
Then today a neighbor reports that a local horse owner shot one of them (and left it's carcass out) to deter the others from pestering his horses. Not sure that it would work, but hey, if they are messing with your horses... As for the nocturnal claim, well: three other neighbors report being confronted in broad daylight by large coyotes (or possibly coydogs - mongrel coyote/domestic dog hybrid) with their children and a local cat was snatched from his garden in broad daylight. Folks have also been bandying about tales of black bear and cougar (holy shit!!) sightings... Not sure of the authenticity of those but I know for sure that there's a pack of coyotes hanging out in my yard and frankly I'd cheerfully swap 'em for a whole bunch of snakes, spiders and even a crocodile or two.
American wildlife is so much scarier than Australian wildlife.
Children and dog supervised outside till further notice.
I grew up in Australia surrounded by what is often marketed here in America as an inordinate number of poisonous, dangerous and otherwise unfriendly creatures. I grew up swimming in rivers known to be inhabited by large freshwater crocodiles. In the Summer months the ocean near where I lived was swarming with large box jellyfish with stinging tenticles , their friends the bluebottles (Portugese Man o' War) were also about to sting you if you were lucky. We frequenltly encountered large (and I'm talking 7 and 8ft) pythons while on school camping trips and on a couple of occasions my classmates and I encountered reptiles of the more poisonous varieties (Death Adders, Taipans etc). This stuff was so normal that when my mum called the other day to tell me that her dog had brought a "very pretty little baby snake" in from the paddock, I wasn't at all surprised when she figured out it was a red bellied black snake (yep, poisonous). Dog and mother, both fine, baby snake swiftly released back into the paddock without incident...
Now I live in the Pacific Northwest. People here (and most everywhere else in the States) are terrified of snakes and spiders - which don't phase me at all, but are seemingly cool with the PACKS OF COYOTES which are currently HUNTING for prey to feed their new pups in the VALLEY WHERE I LIVE.
Yes, you do detect a note of panic in the above paragraph. I am patently not cool with the coyotes.
Now if they were doing what they are supposed to do, which according to the wildlife-lovin' folks around here insist extends to being very shy, nocturnal creatures then I'd be fine. But so far this week I've been kept up at night by a bloody chorus of howling, barking, screetching wolf-like noises (nothing at all like dogs) punctuated by growling, scrabbling, and finally screaming death cries of whatever poor neighborhood cat was too slow to the cat flap. Outside my window. For. Hours. On. End.
Then today a neighbor reports that a local horse owner shot one of them (and left it's carcass out) to deter the others from pestering his horses. Not sure that it would work, but hey, if they are messing with your horses... As for the nocturnal claim, well: three other neighbors report being confronted in broad daylight by large coyotes (or possibly coydogs - mongrel coyote/domestic dog hybrid) with their children and a local cat was snatched from his garden in broad daylight. Folks have also been bandying about tales of black bear and cougar (holy shit!!) sightings... Not sure of the authenticity of those but I know for sure that there's a pack of coyotes hanging out in my yard and frankly I'd cheerfully swap 'em for a whole bunch of snakes, spiders and even a crocodile or two.
American wildlife is so much scarier than Australian wildlife.
Children and dog supervised outside till further notice.


9 Comments:
OMG i'm cracking up... lol
I live in 'cougar central' out here in the boonies and it has never even occurred to me to be worried. We do hear coyotes now and then (nothing like what you're describing) but I enjoy the sound of them, it's never once frightened me. What did frighten me was a few years back when I lived in Silverdale (!!), Thanksgiving dinner was interrupted by a huge black bear on my PORCH, looking in my windows!! We called wildlife and they said that any bear that felt that brazen was too comfortable with humans and advised we stay away. Unfortunately before they could come and move it further out, it was hit by a car and killed. :(
There, you have a whole storybook of all of my run ins with dangerous wildlife. LOL
Hello... swimming with CROCS?! You're freakin nuts, woman. ;)
love you! :D
DOn't get me wrong, one howling coyote is quite a lovely sound. One I have no problems with. Its the thought of packs of them roaming around my garden, or sneaking out to snack on my dog that have me a little wiggy.
As for the crocodiles they were only freshies. Freshies usually only eat fish, and they don't keep you up at night eating your neighbours cats...
The bear story in Silverdale basically has me swearing off my monthly costco run. That would have had me foaming at the mouth.
Coyotes... yup, scary beasts. I'm with you on that one! Packs are not trustworthy. I'd be concerned too. They get way too brazen when the numbers get up and the food gets scarce.
Used to be fairly rural. Went to feed our friends "barn cats" once. Could not figure out why they wouldn't go to their little "house". Found a dying coyote in it when I lifted the roof.
Yeah, I high tailed it out of the farm yard right quick! Counted the cats again... and waited for the wildlife officer at the edge of the property! Just reading your description of them howling is enough to make me uneasy!
We have since moved to very urban, almost centre of the city type urban. Rabid bunnies eating the fresh perennials are our biggest concern at the moment. And I like it that way!
Um.... yeah.... around the time our cat disappeared when we were living near the recycling center, the coyotes were sounding SCARY! Despite the obnoxious, almost constant car noises and lawnmowers at 8am every Friday - there are some slight advantages to living in town.
love and peace.
lol!! that's too funny "freshies USUALLY only eat fish!? no thanx!
i'll take coyotes over creepy crawlies any day! the coyotes in my part of the woods are scared off by flashlights...
Love it! Yes, coyotes are kinda scary sometimes. The ones around my residence tend to stay away but last summer our beloved 10 year old cat disappeared and I believe he was probably eaten by a coyote. We also get the occasional cougar...there was one spotted up near the local university.
A few weekends ago I was driving with Hubby and kids near Baker Lake and we saw a young black bear. I'm not so afraid of them, however, as they are pretty docile and won't attack humans unless provoked or think you're in the way of their supper (!!, redspiral).
Ahh, yes, wildlife is spectacular. My hubby, also born in Australia, knows a bit about both continents' wildlife as he is an environmental educator as well as environmental scientist. He told me that once he accidentally brought home (to the States) a Funnel Web Spider in his suitcase (from Australia). Scary!
It's all a matter of what you grow up with, isn't it? Coyotes don't bother me at all, and out on my parent's farm they hear them each and every night. One year I crept up on a den of pups, took some fantastic pictures while the mother kept a respectful distance. Thankfully for me, the naughty pups didn't pay any attention to her shouted warnings from across the gully.
They aren't nocturnal though. They regularly catch cats and chickens from the local farms and homes in broad daylight when they have pups to feed.
I've even been lucky enough to see a cougar close up. (eastern Washington) She'd just killed a deer and would have run off when she heard us coming, but stayed just long enough to cover it with sticks and leaves before racing off down the hill as we approached.
The resident rattle snakes are much more dangerous to humans than the larger wildlife in the area. they are regularly be-headed when found in the lawn.
We've considered moving to Australia, and the idea of those crocs and spiders and snakes pretty much freaks me out. Aren't the dingos pretty nasty to humans too? We may still go, and I'm sure I'll be as wigged out by your local wildlife as you are by ours.
Cherrie
Okay, now I haven't lived in the Northwest before but I have been around a lot of wildlife in the US and and I think that if you grew up in the Country you wouldn't be all that afraid of Coyotes. Yes I admit that a pack of them and animals being snatched in the broad daylight is rather bold of them but it sounds like either their natural predators have been weeded out so their population is getting out of control or the abundance of easy to get pray has made their numbers explode beyond what the local population can hold and are now interacting with you more.
What to do I can't say but HOLY COW woman I have been to your country and lived there for about a year. Australia that has 7 of the top 10 deadliest snakes, some of the deadliest spiders, the most deadly octopus (the Blue Ringed) which likes to hide in shallow rocky areas where kids and adults wander, the Box Jellyfish, how about the Salt Water Crocs, the Woebegone shark which is the only shark to be able to bite it's tail and accounts for the high number of shark bite tallied in Australia to say nothing of the quantity of Great White Sharks not to far from your home town. And you are afraid of some little dogs??? You should have gotten a bigger dog other than just a snack and then go out and invest in some fireworks or a .22 :)
Hope you are well and miss you lots and lots. I'm not so sure I am not wiggied out by you wanting to go serve in 3rd world countries either. Oh yeah get the Small Pox vaccination - love
SD, ignorance is bliss.I'm much more comfortable with the nasties I can't see or hear.
(fingers in ears) "La,la,la"
:)
Post a Comment
<< Home